Mark Zuckerberg testified before a jury in Los Angeles Superior Court on February 19, 2026, in a trial brought by a plaintiff identified as KGM, now 20, who alleges Meta's platforms deliberately addicted her during childhood and exacerbated her depression and suicidal thoughts. The trial, which began February 9, is considered a bellwether case that could influence thousands of similar lawsuits and potentially billions in liability for Meta.
During cross-examination by plaintiff attorney Mark Lanier, Zuckerberg stated the existing body of scientific research has not proven social media causes mental health harms. When asked whether addictive products increase usage, he said he did not think that applied to Meta's platforms. He defended Instagram's under-13 policy by saying violators are removed when detected, and he acknowledged the company didn't ask users to input their age at signup until 2019. Internal documents presented by Lanier showed roughly one-third of American children aged 10-12 were using Instagram in 2015 despite the policy.
Zuckerberg also addressed internal documents advising him to appear 'authentic, direct, human' and avoid being 'robotic or corporate,' pushing back against characterizations of media coaching. He acknowledged Instagram previously used time-spent metrics as goals but said the company consciously shifted to utility-focused metrics. He noted teens represent less than 1% of Meta's ad revenue.
The trial is the first time Zuckerberg has answered questions about child online safety before a jury. Google's YouTube remains a co-defendant. Meta has warned investors the broader litigation could result in damages in the 'high tens of billions of dollars.'